TRANSLATE

Tuesday 7 October 2014

Midnight Sun Challenge Chapter 1.29 "Eddy Confronts Maya"



Eddy Confronts Maya


Maya had managed to stay out of the spotlight for most of her stay in Sunset Valley until one reporter did a story on her volunteering in the children's wing at the hospital.  Maya had wanted to give thanks to all the members of the town for their gracious hospitality and decided to entertain the sick children at the hospital.  She felt it was the least she could do as everyone had been so gracious.  The story was picked up and before she knew it, Sunset Valley was full of paparazzi.  She supposed it was inevitable anyways, when news got out about the unveiling of the mural they were bound to come. She just wished she could have had her whole vacation away from the flashes of cameras and reporters constantly trying to talk to her.  She wanted to spend the the remainder of her time just hiding out at the Landgraab's, but Nancy wouldn't hear of it.  So she was dragged to every charity event in the town. The most exciting surprise was that she had been asked to provide a painting for an artist gallery night at the local art gallery.  She was thrilled and got to work right away.  She thought about painting the view of the town from the backyard of the Landgraab's home, which was absolutely spectacular.  But she wanted to do something different, unique to herself.  She had just finished sketching it out and couldn't wait to start choosing colours and shades to make it come to life.

The night sky drew her out of the house and she stood on the edge of the property near the cliff, staring up at the stars, thinking about how her time in Sunset Valley was almost done and she would be returning to university.  How different it all was going to be.

"Maya"

Startled, Maya spun around at the sound of his voice.

"Eddy.  What are you doing here?"

"What am I doing here?  What are you doing here?  Here of all places!"

Maya backed up a space from him, sensing the anger radiating off his whole body.  Eddy was so angry he was almost shaking.

"Do you have any idea how crazy I have been looking for you?  Then to find out your here!"

"Did it ever occur to you that I didn't want to be found?  You shouldn't be here Eddy.  This isn't a good idea.  If your aunt and uncle knew you were here, they would not be happy."



"I don't care!  I never would have thought you could be so cruel.  You know how I feel about them!  How they feel about me!  Of all places I could have found you!"

"Contrary to what you may think Eddy.  Staying here has nothing to do with you."

"Of course it does.  I all has to do with me.  Everything.  You think I cheated on you so you go to the one place you know would hurt me the most!"

"I didn't ask to stay here Eddy.  I needed a place to stay.  They called me.  They asked me, even knowing that I am dating you.  Or at least I think they know.  Doesn't matter.  Fact is, I've done nothing wrong."


"Neither have I!"




That statement hung in the air like an echo off a distant canyon wall.  Eddy took a step towards Maya but she put up her hand to stop him.



"I didn't sleep with Katie," he said a little quieter. "I didn't.  It was just one of those stupid party game dares that went too far.  I never would have done it if I hadn't been so juiced."











"How am I supposed to believe that?  Katie has been sniffing around after you for months Eddy. How can I know for sure?"







"You can ask her yourself.  Come back with me."

"No.  I'm not going anywhere with you.  I still have commitments here. And beside I was very clear with you.  If Katie is still around when I get back, we are done!  I really don't want to do this right now.  You should go."

"Yes, you need to go."

Maya turned to see Nancy standing there with a none too happy look on her face.

"Maya, come back with me," he pleaded.

"She is not going anywhere.  Least of all with you."

"Fuck you aunt.  This has nothing to do with you!"

"And Maya being here has nothing to do with you!  I know you would like to think otherwise.  But contrary to your common opinion, the whole world doesn't revolve around you!  Now just go.  Or I will be forced to call the cops."

Eddy took one last look at Maya and gave her a pleading glance, but Maya just looked at the ground and Eddy walked away.  Nancy walked over and gave Maya a hug.

"You knew.  About Eddy and me."

"Of course I knew dear.  I don't approve but I have always known.  Doesn't change the way I feel about you at all."

"I'm so sorry."

"Ach, don't be sorry. You have nothing to be sorry about.   Hmmm, I never thought he would have had the nerve to show up here.  Guess I was wrong.  Oh well, no harm done."

Looking into Maya's face she saw the indecision in her eyes.

"I asked you to stay here because you needed a place to stay.  But I also thought getting away from Eddy would help to give you some perspective.  He is not the man you think he is Maya.  Chip off his mother's block he is.  His mother may have left him and he may hate her but he is a lot like her.  He doesn't love you Maya.  He never will.  He is just using you."



"I'm not sure I can believe that."

Nancy sighed.  "No I guess you aren't ready to see things clearly yet.  I just want you to be careful. I've known that boy his whole life.  Watch yourself with him.  That is all I ask."

Maya nodded her head.  "I will try."






2 comments:

  1. this may have been a short post, but it was intense!! I like how Eddy is a 'real' guy- not a sappy romance novel hero. I understand what he does completely, although I still think in real life something would've happened while he was away from Maya, at least with Katie, but that's just my thoughts. Your #1 fan, Sil

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying to make both of them real guys but this is a real challenge!

    ReplyDelete